Are you an ELP student, alumnus, or friend? If so, consider submitting an entry to the blog! Check out the ideas and tips below to get started.
Blog topics & prompts
The ELP blog covers topics ranging from program information, to student life in ELP, to higher education issues, to student affairs best practices, and more!
Here are some prompts to help you think about forming your entry:
- Why did you choose to study student affairs, and why did you choose the ELP master’s degree over another university’s?
- What classes have been your favorites in ELP?
- What has stuck with you years after graduating, or how has your current work benefitted from your studies in ELP?
- What was helpful to you to know when applying to ELP? What advice would you give to applicants and prospective students?
- What is or was your assistantship while in ELP? What is a cool project you’ve taken on, or a way that you’ve applied what you learned in class to what you are doing?
- Have you done any research you would like to briefly describe, or a paper you’re proud of that you’d like to share?
- Do you have an area of interest in student affairs or higher education you’d like to learn more about by writing a blog entry? Give it a try!
New to blogging? Never fear!
If you haven’t blogged before, here are some additional tips to help you get started:
- Blog entries are usually short: 2-4 paragraphs and 500 words are plenty. Of course, if 2000 words is more your style, please write as much as you would like!
- Blogs are usually casual and conversational: there’s no need to worry about APA formatting or style here!
- Blog entries will be credited: please include your preferred name to accompany the entry, your affiliation (1st year, 2nd year, alumni & current institution/position), a fun fact or two, and preferred contact information, if any.
- Blog entries will be proofread before posting: if you’re unsure if what you’ve written about will work for the blog, please send it in anyway! We hope to feature many voices and stories, and part of our job is helping you to craft an entry you are proud of and happy to share.
- We also welcome videos! If you are at the U or near Salt Lake City, let us know if you would like help doing a video and we will coordinate a time to make one.
Ready to submit?
Thank you again for your interest in contributing to the ELP blog! If you’re ready to submit, or have any questions before getting started, get in touch with the Social Media GA Sheena Kauppila at email@example.com.